As a parish and as members of God’s family, we endeavor;
- To be an inclusive, caring and loving Eucharistic community.
- To strive to bring forth the unique gifts of women and men, of children and youth, in service and outreach to the many needs of our community.
- To welcome the visitor and traveler to the Adirondack area and to our faith community.
- To evangelize and bring the gospel message to serve one another in the example of Jesus Christ.
History of Sacred Heart Church and Parish
Our Parish history began when mass was first celebrated in the Lake George Court House on the Feast of Assumption in 1865 by Father McDermott of Glens Falls. In the midst of misunderstanding among the churches in the area, Father Hecker began collecting money to build a church of our own on the highest point of land in the village on the south shore with a commanding view of the lake. Sacred Heart Church began on September 6, 1874 with the laying of the cornerstone of a church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The cornerstone was carved in Glens Falls, bearing the emblem of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Plans were donated by Jeremiah O’Rourke of Newark, NJ. The church is constructed of native quarry stone in Gothic style. All the work was performed by local craftsmen.
Chapel of Our Lady of the Assumption
Summer worship services on the east side of Lake George were first held in a dance hall in Cleverdale in 1914. The first chapel was built in 1921 in Cleverdale. It began as a mission church of Sacred Heart Parish, later being transferred to Blessed Sacrament Parish in Bolton Landing. This transfer was the result of the primary method of travel being boat! As the east side community outgrew the chapel, property was secured on Ridge Road and the new Chapel of the Assumption was dedicated on May 30, 1966. It was subsequently detached from Blessed Sacrament and made part of the Sacred Heart Parish once again in 1968. Our chapel continued to serve a summer population on the east side of the lake.
The availability and future projections for priests became a significant part of the feasibility study which led to the canonical closing of the chapel in December 2009. For nearly 100 years the Chapel functioned as an integral part of the Blessed Sacrament and Sacred Heart Parish communities.
Some of the chapel furnishings, which include the pews, outside cross, altar railings and Stations of the Cross have been incorporated into the new church during its renovation project.
Renovation Project and New Church
In 2006, both the Capital Campaign and Construction Design began on the renovation project of the summer church, originally constructed in 1957. In 2008 a new design was selected, one that incorporates the styling of the “1874” church while retaining an Adirondack touch. In April 2011 the new church was dedicated by Fr. Thomas Berardi. Some Liturgical interior furnishings have been obtained from the Kenwood Convent Chapel of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart and some furnishings were newly constructed.